Long Island Lawyer Dedicated to Helping Clients in Nassau County Avoid Drug Crimes Convictions
Being charged with any crime is scary—especially if you are accused of committing a drug crime. These crimes are very common in Long Island, but that doesn’t stop authorities from aggressively prosecuting defendants in these cases.
If you are facing drug crime charges in New York, you need a criminal defense attorney who will protect your best interests and fight for your freedom. Don’t wait any longer—contact Law Firm of Gianni Karmily, PLLC as soon as possible to discuss your legal options.
What Are Controlled Substances?
The possession, use, sale, and manufacturing of controlled substances is illegal in Long Island. The term controlled substances refers to various substances that are grouped into five different categories: schedule I, II, III, IV, and V. Some examples of the substances in each of these categories include:
- Schedule I: Opiates, opium derivatives, heroin, hallucinogenic substances, synthetic cannabinoids
- Schedule II: Opium extracts, cocaine, amphetamine, methamphetamine
- Schedule III: Certain stimulants, ketamine, limited quantities of certain substances, including codeine and opium
- Schedule IV: Certain depressants, certain stimulants
- Schedule V: Limited quantities of certain substances, including codeine and opium
Controlled substances are categorized by their addictiveness and the likelihood of abuse. The controlled substances in Schedule I are the drugs that are the most addictive and frequently abused.
What Are the Drug Laws in Long Island?
There are a number of laws that govern the possession, use, manufacture, and distribution of controlled substances, including:
- Criminal possession of a controlled substance
- Use of a child to commit a controlled substance offense
- Criminal sale of a controlled substance
- Criminal sale of a controlled substance in or near school grounds
- Criminally possessing a hypodermic instrument
- Criminal injection of a narcotic drug
- Criminal sale of a controlled substance to a child
- Criminally using drug paraphernalia
- Criminal sale of a prescription for a controlled substance or a controlled substance by a pharmacist or practitioner
- Criminal possession of methamphetamine manufacturing material
- Criminal possession of precursors of methamphetamine
- Unlawful manufacture of methamphetamine
- Operating as a major trafficker
The drug laws in New York are complex, which is why it’s recommended that you seek legal representation from a criminal defense attorney if you are charged with a drug offense.
What Are the Penalties For Drug Crimes Convictions?
The penalties for a drug conviction can vary depending on the type of crime you are accused of committing. There are several misdemeanor drug crimes, including criminal possession of a controlled substance in the seventh degree and criminal possession of methamphetamine manufacturing material in the second degree. Both of these crimes are class A misdemeanors, which are punishable by up to one year in jail and $1,000 in fines.
However, most drug crimes are felonies. These offenses can range from a class E felony to a class A felony. Some drug crimes are class A-II felonies, including the criminal possession of a controlled substance in the second degree and the criminal sale of a controlled substance in the second degree.
The most serious drug offenses are criminal possession of a controlled substance in the first degree, criminal sale of a controlled substance in the first degree, and operating as a major trafficker. All three of these offenses are class A-I felonies. If you are convicted of a class A-I felony, you may be sentenced to decades in prison.
How Can An Attorney Fight Drug Crime Charges?
Your future and freedom are on the line in a drug crime case. If you are facing these criminal charges, contact attorney Gianni Karmily right away. Gianni’s goal is to help you reach the best possible outcome in your case. This may mean aggressively negotiating with the state to arrange a plea bargain on your behalf. Or, it could mean taking your case to trial and winning an acquittal. In some cases, Gianni may be able to get the charges dismissed altogether.
Let Gianni review the details of your drug crime case today. After reviewing your case, Gianni will determine the best way to defend you against these charges and help you avoid the serious penalties of a conviction.
Schedule A No-Cost Consultation With Our Drug Crime Lawyer in Long Island
Have you been accused of committing a drug crime in Long Island? If so, it’s in your best interest to seek legal representation from experienced drug crime lawyer Gianni Karmily as soon as possible. The stakes are high in a drug crime case, and the only way to protect your future is to work with an attorney who is willing to fight for you. Gianni Karmily is passionate about helping the accused. Let him work tirelessly to reach a favorable outcome in your case. To schedule a free consultation regarding your drug crime case, call 516-630-3405 or fill out the form on this website.